Sunday, April 20, 2008

Ballet Performace

Viewing the performance of A Midsummer's Nights Dream, through the art of ballet was quite an interesting experience. It was helpful that I was Puck in a previous production, making it easy to follow the action for the "play" portion. Watching the plot unfold through dance made me give the performers respect for being able to explain Shakespeare without using words.  One of my favorite parts of the whole production were the hound dogs that they imitated. Having their arms outstretched straight in front of them while running across stage as steadily as they could really represented the focus a hound dog has when sniffing out its hunt.  Another example of being able to use the body to convey characteristics, were the cute little fairies that used their hands as wings and would flap their arms up and down indicating flutter.  I enjoyed seeing this because it shows an element of surprise which always keeps the audience engaged in the production. 

Having the play being performed within the entire first Act was pretty cool considering Shakespeare has a tendency to drag on forever. But, since there was a second Act, I was slightly confused on what they were going to do. Unfortunately, I was disappointed for part two.  I do not understand how you can advertise for doing a Shakespeare play and then decide that Act II has nothing to do with the original body of work. Oh sure, some of them are in the same costumes and others are in the same color palette, but other than that it has NOTHING to do with Shakespeare. What, did we not see your ballet talent in the first Act? Did we not see enough plie's? Are your jumps bigger and badder the second time around? No. They aren't. You just made up some freestyle and thought it would be cool to show us. Well, it's not cool. If I wanted to experience freestyle I'd ask my friend Grand Master P to go at it on the mic. I would NOT ask Juilus to do a double Pirouette while smiling, acting as if he's in a southern belle pageant. 

So, overall, I enjoyed the first part and thought the second part was a waste of time. I do however, am glad that I went and experienced it. It opens your mind to new ways to relate to your audience and I think that a part of this will stay with me.

No comments: