Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gay Culture in Berlin

Topics, topics, topics...I have my topic narrowed down to two ideas.

One: Drag culture and how its perceived in Berlin. I think this whole network is interesting because of its shock value. Researching how this community is viewed in Berlin would also be interesting to investigate. I would love to take a couple of case studies and see how one decides to go into this type of "theatre." Are people who aren't into drag support this group? why or why not? Is there a double life in drag? Accountant by day, drag queen by night? Or if you are into the drag scene, do you commit to that lifestyle one hundred percent? When does the makeup come off? I realize I would need to narrow these questions down again, but at the moment I'm just brainstorming my ideas and where I want to go with them.

Two: Being out and gay and how families react. Are Germans known as being liberal on the topic of homosexuality? Or are they more conservative? If they are, is it because of religious backgrounds? If not, what is the reason of being so bias against homosexuals? In this topic, I think I would lean towards doing more surveys than anything else. Get a broader sense on how a majority of the community feels. (or at least, as many people as I can get...)

So this is where I am at with my topics. I realize that they are HUGE but I am completely excited about it and think that where I am going is in the right direction! yay!

No comments: